As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Plans to write software for the Mac OS X GUI ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul.L.

Paul.L.
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

Does LabJack have any plans to write an OS agnostic GUI that would run under Mac OS GUI ?

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

There is our Kipling application which is Windows, Mac OS X and Linux compatible:

http://labjack.com/support/kipling

Currently it only supports the LabJack T7, our latest DAQ. That is our only GUI application made by us for Mac OS X. Only Windows has GUI applications made by us for all LabJack devices, but we do provide Mac OS X drivers for all devices so users can make their own custom software and we provide code examples.

#3 Paul.L.

Paul.L.
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:10 AM

Not being a programmer, I have to hire a programmer to be able to use a LabJack device. Do you have referrals to Python programmers ?

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:14 AM

What LabJack device do you want to use, what do you want the GUI based application to do and is Python the to only language you want it written in?

#5 Paul.L.

Paul.L.
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

My service includes monitoring power and energy of lighting circuits; 120V AC / 50-60Hz / 20A. In this case there are (2) circuits of electronically dimmed fluorescent lamps. I have CTs that output 10V AC at 20Amp.I've done some research into other CTs to see if there is a better fit for the U3. (forum topic 7098)

I'm using a U3-HV. I launch and can make very minor edits, (commenting/uncommenting options, setting inputs, setting gain/timing), to Python scripts in the Unix terminal of a Mac. It's the only computer language I've explored. I've seen some DAQ GUIs written in JAVA, however, those aren't command line interface. It seems to offer an avenue to multi-platform software, but I don't know enough to know. 

#6 Paul.L.

Paul.L.
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

I didn’t quite answer your question about what I would want to see in a GUI. Adding to what I’ve already said about the way I want to use the U3, I would want to be able to set all the variables specifically related to AD conversion of 120V / 50-60Hz / 20 Amp electricity. As I’m aware at this point that would be channel, sample rate, single ended or differential, input voltage range, continuous stream or scheduled (e.g. 6:00-21:00 M-F), and logging to a CSV file. If it is a GUI, no preference for language. 

A Python script that would allow me to edit for the same variables would also work for me. 

#7 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

Is the software to run your own experiments, or something you want to distribute so others can use it with little knowledge?

#8 Paul.L.

Paul.L.
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:50 PM

It is for my own research in optimizing daylight harvest in office buildings. 

#9 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

I can't think of any Python contractors.  There is someone who has done projects with QT (cross platform C++ GUI), but I feel like it would be pretty expensive to develop.

Consider using the T7.  With the T7, you can talk to it directly using Modbus TCP over Ethernet (and WiFi on the T7-Pro).  That means you could use any software that can act as a Modbus TCP client.  You can try a search for "mac data acquisition software", but when I did a search for "mac scada software" I got much more interesting results.  If you find anything of interest, let us know and we will try it out.  Any SCADA software should support Modbus TCP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users