As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Minimum Pulse Width

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 orestes05

orestes05
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hi,

I have the U3 triggering a single 100 ns pulse on an analog pulse generator.  I am wondering if any LabJack device alone could generate a short pulse width (less than 100 nsec)?

The pulse provides digitial TTL input to a laser diode, the diode has separate power source so the pulse just acts as 0V (low) to 5V (high) switch.

Thanks you,

Jeremy

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

I am not sure what you are asking.  You are using the U3 to generate a 100 ns pulse, or you are wondering how to do it?

In theory the U3 can generate a single <100ns pulse using a timer in PWM or FrequencyOut mode along with another timer in stop mode, but I'm not sure if the output will rise fast enough to make a proper pulse.  I need to find a low capacitance scope and then I can measure the time constants of the FIO and EIO/CIO lines.

#3 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

An initial check using our scope's 10%-90% rise time measurement reports about 25ns for FIO and 6ns for EIO/CIO, so probably good for you.  If your load adds more capacitance than our scope, these times will be slower.

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

To estimate rise/fall time you can use the impedance of the digital outputs and capacitance of the load to calculate the time constant:

Tau = R*C

1 time constant equates to the signal changing 63% of the way towards the new value, so for a 0 to 3.3 volt step it is the time for the signal to go from 0 to 2.1 volts.

The impedance of FIO is ~550 ohms and the impedance of EIO/CIO is ~180 ohms.  Our scope probe has 50pF capacitance, which works out to 28ns for FIO and 9ns for CIO/EIO, which is pretty good agreement with what we actually see on the scope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users