As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Controlling multiple 12V solenoid valves

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 alkaram

alkaram
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

I'm relatively new to LabJack, automation, etc.  I'm working on a research project that will require control of 3 normally closed, 12V solenoid valves. 

I've been reading online about all the different types of relays and relay boards but since I'm so new to this, I easily get lost in the terminology.  I'm trying to determine the best type of configuration to easily control these three valves while keeping things as simple as possible.  I've read about the RB12  relay board and modules but I'm not really sure what exactly the board is doing or what the modules are doing and how to select the correct type of modules.   What advantages would this type of setup hold to another type of solid-state relay? 

Any advice or suggested readings would be very much appreciated. 

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

You need to provide a 12 volt power supply that can provide the current for all 3 solenoids.  You then use the U6 to control some sort of switch that gates that 12 volt power to each solenoid.

How much current do each of your solenoids require?  If they are rated for Watts, take Watts/Volts to get current.

#3 alkaram

alkaram
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

2 of the solenoids will be pinch valves for liquid and each requires 0.216 A (2.6W/12V). The other valve is for controlling CO2 and is rated for 1.4A.  

So if I purchase a 12V power supply with enough current, I can would only need that one power supply (along with switches) to independently operate all valves? What kind of switches of gates would you recommend? Could this be done using a simple breadboard connected to the labjack and the power supply? 

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

So if I purchase a 12V power supply with enough current, I can would only need that one power supply (along with switches) to independently operate all valves? What kind of switches of gates would you recommend?

You need the power supply, a LabJack, and some sort of switches.  Since you posted in the U6 forum I assumed you have or are interested in the U6.  The simplest solution to go with the U6 would be to get a RB12 with 3x DC Output modules (e.g.  70G-ODC5):

http://labjack.com/s.../rb12/datasheet

A lower cost option would be to buy 3 standalone solid-state relays (SSRs) and have the U6 control them:

http://labjack.com/s...s-guide/2.8.1.4

You need a DC-DC SSR such as the Jameco 175222 which is the Kyoto KF0604D:

http://www.jameco.co...10001_175222_-1

#5 Nmistry82

Nmistry82
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:19 AM

Hello,

Would this be the same principle for controlling 24 vdc solenoid valves also?

I have a 24v power supply, I have the Labjack U3-HV. I haven't got the solid state relays yet, are there any other solid state relays you could recommend for me? 

I am looking to control 4 24vdc solenoid valves and am getting stuck and confused as to the best way to achieve this.

I require to open/close the valves at various times during a specified test sequence.

Thanks.

#6 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

The KF0604D seems like the best option to me.  It is rated for up to 32 VDC and 4 amps, and is just $10.  Jameco has 6 choices for DC-DC SSRs:

http://www.jameco.co...ge~SEARCH%2BNAV

The KF0604D will work fine with 12V or 24V loads.

#7 Nmistry82

Nmistry82
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

Thanks,

So how would I get the labjack U3 to control the 4 relays I will purchase, which will then enable me to open/close my solenoids? 

Neil

#8 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

Figure 2.8-6 here shows how to connect 1 of your solenoids.  The solenoid is the load:

You will set the DIO line to output-low to turn the SSR on, and set the DIO line to input to turn the SSR off.

Do initial testing using the test panel in LJControlPanel.  Remember you want to change the DIO between output-low and input, not output-high.  Read about the "3 possible states" of DIO here:

http://labjack.com/s...users-guide/2.8

#9 Nmistry82

Nmistry82
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:59 AM

Great thanks,

The SSR recommended (KF0604D) has a through hole mount, what is the best way to make the connection to the inputs?

Can one ext supply (in figure 2.8-6) be used to power all 4 solenoids/SSR's?

Also is there a way of programing a sequence of when I would like the solenoids to turn on/off? for example have a delayed start of 30 seconds, on for 120 seconds then of for 120 seconds... (I have the DAQfactory software)

So I take it I don't need a breadboard as part of this set up? It all just connects in directly to the components?

Thanks for your help.

#10 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

The SSR recommended (KF0604D) has a through hole mount, what is the best way to make the connection to the inputs?

Any way you see fit is fine.  A likely option would be to solder wires to the leads.  If you would rather have screw-clamps, get one of the KG10xxD relays from Jameco, but they are more expensive.

Can one ext supply (in figure 2.8-6) be used to power all 4 solenoids/SSR's?

Yes.

Also is there a way of programing a sequence of when I would like the solenoids to turn on/off? for example have a delayed start of 30 seconds, on for 120 seconds then of for 120 seconds... (I have the DAQfactory software)

I suggest you post on AzeoTech's forum for ideas about how to implement your steps in DAQFactory.

Remember that turn on means "set DIOx to output-low" and turn off means "set DIOx to input".  Likely ways to set DIOx to output-low are with eDO(), or with an Add/Go/Get block using iotype LJ_ioPUT_DIGITAL_BIT.  Likely ways to set DIOx to input are with eDI(), or with an Add/Go/Get block using iotype LJ_ioGET_DIGITAL_BIT.

So I take it I don't need a breadboard as part of this set up? It all just connects in directly to the components?

I don't see a reason for a breadboard.

#11 Nmistry82

Nmistry82
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:43 AM

Thank you for your help,

I have 4 solenoids, so will also have 4 SSR's. Will I require something like a LJTick relay driver to be able to include/connect up all 4 SSR's or can all 4 be somehow connected to the Labjack U3-HV?

How many SSR's would a single LJTick relay driver be able to control? Just the 1?

Thanks,

Neil

#12 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:02 AM

You can control 4 SSRs directly from the U3 using the sinking technique as described up to now.

If you buy 2 LJTick-RelayDrivers, you can use those to drive your 4 SSRs.  An extra advantage to using the LJTRD is that you can do normal output-high & output-low control, so it makes software a little simpler ... especially in DAQFactory.

#13 Nmistry82

Nmistry82
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:27 AM

Thanks,

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by 'normal output-high & output-low control'.

what would be the best option in your opinion? Direct or LJTRD?

What are the main differences between the two options?

Regards,

Neil

#14 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

With the U6 digital I/O directly controlling SSRs, you will use sinking control where you change the digital line between output-low (on) and input (off):

Withe the U6 digital I/O controlling LJTick-RelayDrivers which in turn control SSRs, you will use normal push-pull control where you change the digital line between output-high (on) and output-low (off):

http://labjack.com/s...river/datasheet

Toggling a digital line between output-high and output-low is the easiest in DAQFactory, so I suggest you go with the LJTick-RelayDrivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users