As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

ljacklm_mac_installer: "The kernel extension... is not from an identified developer"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ScottC

ScottC
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

When I run ljacklm_mac_installer on OS X 10.9 I get a security-type message:

The kernel extension at “/System/Library/Extensions/LabJackHID.kext” is not from an identified developer but will still be loaded.

Please contact the kernel extension vendor for updated software.

Can I do something to suppress this message (or can Labjack)?

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

This is the first time I've seen this message. The "identified developer" message must have been introduced in the latest OS X but the kernel extension still looks like it is loading. Currently we do not have plans to sign the LabJackHID kernel extension with a certificate from Apple. The kernel extension is codeless and prevents the U12 from getting claimed by the HID class driver so that libusb can access it. Only the U12 uses this. I am not aware of way to suppress this message beyond getting the kext signed.

#3 ScottC

ScottC
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

This is the first time I've seen this message. The "identified developer" message must have been introduced in the latest OS X but the kernel extension still looks like it is loading. Currently we do not have plans to sign the LabJackHID kernel extension with a certificate from Apple. The kernel extension is codeless and prevents the U12 from getting claimed by the HID class driver so that libusb can access it. Only the U12 uses this. I am not aware of way to suppress this message beyond getting the kext signed.

I've had more complaints from users about the "not from an identified developer". What is keeping you from signing the kext? I've signed an OS X app myself and it isn't that much trouble.

It's all well and good that the kext is codeless and necessary, but the lack of signing still makes Labjack look like a shady organization. I know it isn't, but the person who sees the warning doesn't.

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

We will look into this further and see what is necessary to sign software.

#5 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

To update this topic, the kernel extension (kext) in the current U12 installer is signed by us:

http://labjack.com/support/u12/ljacklm

For Yosemite users, they need to use this installer since kernel extensions are required to be signed.

At some point we plan on signing the installers as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users