As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

high vibration problems, hard wire usb

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jhenise

jhenise
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

I am trying to use my U6 on a motorcycle as an engine analyzer. I am having problems loosing the come tion between the lab Jack and my computer. Due to what I think is excessive vibration.

I think the problem is the USB connection to the lab jack.

I want to open up the lab jack and solder the USB wires to the board to eliminate the plug.

Is this possible?

How do I know what wire goes where?

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

There are a few things that may be causing issues. Physical vibration may be possible. Removing the USB jack and soldering directly to the board is an option. The website below gives you USB wire colors and pins in the Jack. You will have to imagine the pins rotate through a 90 degree angle to get the board layout. To confirm you should see very low resistance between the LabJack's Vs terminal and pin 1, and between LJ's GND and pin 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Another possible issue is ignition noise getting onto the computer's GND. A USB isolator is worth a try. They usually run ~50.

#3 jhenise

jhenise
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Ok I soldered the USB wires to the lab jack board and that solved the issue with lack of communication with the computer during high vibration.

I am almost ready to post about project.

It is an engine analysis computer for racing motorcycles that pulls data from:

8 thermocouples

1 silicone temp sensor for cold junction and air temp

1 humidity sensor (to calculate air density)

1 barometric pressure sensor (to calculate air density)

2 internally magnetic hall effect sensors (ferrous metal sensors) for crankshaft RPM and wheel speed

With this I can monitor engine parameters and from certain physical constants calculate Horse Power from acceleration.

so far it all works great, except for the hall effect sensors, they pick up a ton of electrical interference from the ignition...

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Couple added comments:

Section 2.13 of the U6 User's Guide has information about the USB connections:

http://labjack.com/s...sers-guide/2.13

I wonder if a high-retention USB connector would do the trick, such as the USBR-B-S-S-O-TH from Samtec:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users