As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

DC-output Module and U6 with RB12

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VHD

VHD
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Greetings Labjack Community:

I had a question about how the U6 with RB-12 relay board work to power mulitple solenoids.  My current setup is a U6 with a RB-12 relay board powered by a 24VDC 2.5 A power supply.  I am controlling multiple solenoids and my DC-output modules are G40DC5 (Opto22, 5-60 VDC output @ 3 A). The solenoids are 24 V 4 watts high speed Swagelock.  My question is on the DC-output module since it is rated for an output of 3 A, will that blow my solenoid? Or do solenods have internal resistors for that 4 watts of power needed to turn on or off?  Or is there a way to specify 4 watts of power for that channel.  I am newb to electronics I'm just curious on how the U6 with RB12 works in terms of power distribution.

Thanks.

VHD

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:25 AM

At 24 V a 4 W load will pull 167mA. So you are pretty safely in the green here.

A bit more detail: DC power (P) = V * I. So 4 W / 24 = 0.167A

A lot more detail: http://en.wikipedia..../Electric_power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users