Jump to content

As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.


Photo

Driver changelogs?


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Are there published change logs for the UD driver? I work at a radiocarbon dating laboratory. We have been using a U6 Pro on an automated carbon extraction system for several years. Windows Vista, Visual C#. We have never had any problems with the hardware or the drivers. The last time we updated the driver was in 2011. The installer file name was LabJackUDSetupV325.exe, dated 11-5-2011, but that may be the date of download, rather than the date of publication. A couple days ago, I downloaded and installed the latest driver, after uninstalling the old version according to the instructions on the download page. It was immediately obvious that our application software does not work correctly with the new driver. I uninstalled the new driver, re-installed the prior version we were using, and since then everything has worked fine, as usual. I apologize for being vague about the exact nature of problem, but I haven't attempted to troubleshoot it yet as downtime for maintenance hasn't been available and the symptoms are somewhat indirect. Indicators that display values dependent on voltages read by the DAQ are not updated, and supposedly regular transmissions to several serial devices (which transmissions are initiated in the same thread as the LabJack I/O) are delayed and stuttered. Before I delve into the code and start troubleshooting in earnest, I'd like to survey the changes that have been made to the driver since the version we are using was published. I searched the web site and the forums but didn't find what I was looking for. Any pointers? Thank you! Jim

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Are there published change logs for the UD driver?

I work at a radiocarbon dating laboratory. We have been using a U6 Pro on an automated carbon extraction system for several years. Windows Vista, Visual C#. We have never had any problems with the hardware or the drivers. The last time we updated the driver was in 2011. The installer file name was LabJackUDSetupV325.exe, dated 11-5-2011, but that may be the date of download, rather than the date of publication.

A couple days ago, I downloaded and installed the latest driver, after uninstalling the old version according to the instructions on the download page. It was immediately obvious that our application software does not work correctly with the new driver. I uninstalled the new driver, re-installed the prior version we were using, and since then everything has worked fine, as usual.

I apologize for being vague about the exact nature of problem, but I haven't attempted to troubleshoot it yet as downtime for maintenance hasn't been available and the symptoms are somewhat indirect. Indicators that display values dependent on voltages read by the DAQ are not updated, and supposedly regular transmissions to several serial devices (which transmissions are initiated in the same thread as the LabJack I/O) are delayed and stuttered.

Before I delve into the code and start troubleshooting in earnest, I'd like to survey the changes that have been made to the driver since the version we are using was published. I searched the web site and the forums but didn't find what I was looking for. Any pointers?

Thank you!

Jim


There is a general log of some of the major changes at the bottom of the header file, but it isn't complete. We don't always get full changes written down because of our development cycle.

Often a customer will email us about an issue they are having, which might be a small bug in the driver. We can often troubleshoot/fix these and will send that customer an updated .dll within just a few hours. Thus, the version numbers are not all that fixed. We increment them regularly to keep track for internal testing, but are constantly sending out versions to customers with minor tweaks/fixes to address their internal issues. Our number one concern is usually helping our customers fix their issues, so sometimes when we are busier can forget to log all the changes. We do need to record things better and are certainly doing that with the LJM library.


If you let me know (here or at [email protected]) what I/O types and functionality you are using (i.e. stream, I2C, etc) I can give you an idea what the changes were.

There hasn't been a major changes to the inter-workings in how the driver operates for a while, so the kind of issues you are explaining is a bit odd. Generally, if you can provide us with a bit of code to reproduce the issue we can figure out the problem & get it fixed. If you have any other questions feel free to email us at [email protected]

#3 Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll be looking into the problem within the next few days, and I expect to narrow it to an easily digestable chunk in fairly short order. I'll touch base again when I do. Cheers, Jim


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users