As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Labjack U12 @RB16 CARD

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hi Everybody: It's my first time here be patient with my "acknowledge". I bought the Labjack U12 toghether with the RB16 Relays card. I want to ask for a advice to use the Labjack U12, to control three relays by Visual basic 6 . I only wanted to control a relay just like a switch. I mean, switching different channell I want to measure different samples automatically. Very simple. However I find a lot of problems to buy the recommend relays (Grayhill....). I can buy the Crydom relay (CMX100D10), I attach its technical characteristics. Someone can help me please to choose that relay or another one good enough to the application I need. Just like a simple switch. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Did you consider the U3 with an RB12 board? It uses newer I/O modules that might be easier to find:

http://labjack.com/s.../rb12/datasheet

I only wanted to control a relay just like a switch. I mean, switching different channell I want to measure different samples automatically

I don't quite understand. Do you need to control power to some load? Turn that load on & off? What is the max voltage and max current?

Or do you have 3 voltage signals you want to measure, and you are turning those signals on/off for some reason? For signals we would need more details about where the signals come from, where they are going, and what is the voltage range of the signals.

#3 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Did you consider the U3 with an RB12 board? It uses newer I/O modules that might be easier to find:

http://labjack.com/s.../rb12/datasheet

I only wanted to control a relay just like a switch. I mean, switching different channell I want to measure different samples automatically

I don't quite understand. Do you need to control power to some load? Turn that load on & off? What is the max voltage and max current?

Or do you have 3 voltage signals you want to measure, and you are turning those signals on/off for some reason? For signals we would need more details about where the signals come from, where they are going, and what is the voltage range of the signals.

I already bought the LabJack U12 toghether with RB16 relay board....

The idea is to measure the change of the impedance of a sample as a function of magnetic field. We fix one sample, and we measure this sample inside of a solenoid between (+-1 Amp, the impedance change around 150 ohms). The sample is magnetic. We want to measure automatically. I mean, put three samples, and measure from time to time, first sample one, second sample two, and finally sample three. We wanted to control the relay board, to change the measurement automatically. When we finish to measuring sample one, we want to switch off a certain channell of relay, and start to measure another sample in another channell of another relay. Just swithing on and off, for example, three relays. Because we will connect the end of the samples to the same ground, and the another end to a relay. It can be something like this?. I hope you can give some idea. Thanks in advance friends.

#4 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

i have 3 different samples and I apply the same excitation signal (1 volt, 100 KHz). And I want to measure everyone as a function of the intensity through a solenoid. But this is different system. It doensnt matter. The key, there is the same excitation voltage for everyone, and I want to use, for example, three different relays just to choose, which sample I will measure. Switching on, off different relays. It is possible to do something like this?. if it is, what relay I can use with the labjack U12 toghether with the RB16 board?. I can do it, with this relay?: Crydom Ref. fabric. CMX100D10 (Attached file). Please, I hope someone can help me a bit. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

#5 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

We have not tried that SSR ourselves, but it does look to me like it should work with the RB16. I see it has very low on resistance, which is good for your experiment, but keep in mind that a solid-state switch does have off-state leakage. If the leakage is too much, you might need to use mechanical relays.

#6 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:46 AM

We have not tried that SSR ourselves, but it does look to me like it should work with the RB16.

I see it has very low on resistance, which is good for your experiment, but keep in mind that a solid-state switch does have off-state leakage. If the leakage is too much, you might need to use mechanical relays.

Then, please, someone can advice me a mechanical relay with similar characteristics of the Solid-state CRYDOM CMX100D10 (attached file), to fix perfectly in the RB16 board?. Thanks in advance.

#7 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I do not know of any mechanical relays that can mount in the RB16. Rather you would use an SSR module in the RB16 that in turn controls a mechanical relay mounted externally.

#8 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

I do not know of any mechanical relays that can mount in the RB16. Rather you would use an SSR module in the RB16 that in turn controls a mechanical relay mounted externally.

Ok, not problem, but you can advice me about a SSR relay to use within RB16 BOARD for the application I already explained. The GrayHill models that recommend with the RB16 board are for application of high voltage. Only I need a SSR, with the characteristics of the attached file, but that you know that it can work with the RB16 board and be controlled with the Labjack U12.

we want to control them by means of Labjack U12, and only we want to measure a sample, that will support a current less than 10 mA, and voltage less than 1.5 voltage.

Now you can tell me or advice me what relay I can use (Grayhill,Crydom, Kyoto.... and so on), I think its enough to be encapsulated SIP. To fix very well in the RB16 board. But you can advice me some of them, finaly to control with the Labjack U12. Some of then you tried before. Thanks in advance, and for your help.

#9 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

We have only tried Grayhill modules with the RB16. The Crydom CMX100D10 that you mentioned previously, looks like it should work fine with the RB16. All solid-state relays will have leakage current and on-state voltage drop. Perhaps the leakage and drop of the Crydom SSR are fine for your experiment. If not, you will have to add mechanical relays that are controlled by the SSRs.

#10 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

Hi, I got the The Crydom CMX100D10 relay I explained you before. Ok, now, how I can use the labjack U12 to control it by visual basic 6. I can not find in the attached software (downladed from the Labjack page), any example to control the Rb16 board. I know, that I need to put on high or low the Dxx lines. But how?. I dont find nothing in that software related with the DXX lines of the Rb16 board. Someone can help me. It can not be too much complicated to control a relay. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

#11 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Please, you can show a code example, where D lines are set and write by AOUpdate by means of visual basic 6. We are waiting for the response. Thanks in advance.

#12 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

The easiest way to control the outputs is using the function EDigitalOut:

http://labjack.com/s...users-guide/4.5

So use something like the following. Set channel as desired (e.g. channel=3 for D3) and set state as desired (state=0 to turn on RB16 module and state=1 to turn off RB16 module).

lngErrorcode = EDigitalOut(-1, 0, channel, 1, state)

if lngErrorcode is >0 then do something

#13 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

When using VB6 with the U12, you typically use the activeX control. In the archive VisualBasic6_U12, see the example "EFunctionX".

#14 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

First all, thank you very much for your support. Now I can control every D-line of RB16 through labjackU12.

Now I got another problem, I was using a NAIS DSP1-L2-DC3V mechanical relay fixed between two D-lines. When I connect relay and labjack, the volts drop from 5.11v to 0,8v, and the relay doen't switch, when I switch on/off, two D-lines.

Can you recommend me a SSR relay, to use it just like a simple switch. As I explained you in the another post.

For example, Grayhill 70M-ODC5?.

Page for the Datasheet of the relay:

http://pdf1.alldatas...-L2-DC3V-R.html

Thanks in advance.

#15 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Now I got another problem, I was using a NAIS DSP1-L2-DC3V mechanical relay fixed between two D-lines.

I don't see a reason to use 2 D lines to control a relay. You would use 1 D line and GND (output-high=on, output-low=off), or even better use 1 D line and +5V with sinking control (output-high=off, output-low=on).

When I connect relay and labjack, the volts drop from 5.11v to 0,8v, and the relay doen't switch, when I switch on/off, two D-lines.

Most mechanical relays require too much current to control directly from a D line:

https://forums.labja...p?showtopic=596

I suggest you use the RB16 with an SSR module, and then use that SSR module to control the mechanical relay.

Can you recommend me a SSR relay, to use it just like a simple switch. As I explained you in the another post.

For an SSR to use with the RB16, it seems that the CMX100D10 you mentioned earlier is a good option for you.

#16 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Finally I can control the CMX100D10 relay by means of D-lines of labjack U12 perfectly. Thanks so much!. Now I have the next question. Next step, I could say.. My concern is the wiring, only I want to measure sample 1, or sample 2, or sample 3. But not at the same time. We can imagine they are simple resistances.... I connect R1(-) and R2(-) and R3(-) to the commun ground of the resistances (P*). Ok. And I connect R1(+), R2(+) and R3(+) to a commun point (P**). Only I want to measure the value of the resistance between point P* and P**...., which means to measure one sample separately. This way, opening and closing the relays, I want to measure the value of R1, or R2, or R3 as a function of the time. But Only I obtained the parallel value of the resistance, or a very low value of resistance. I know that, cos now Im wiring simples resistances of given value, just 10 ohms, 40 and 60 ohms. how I should connect three samples to measure it separately depending on the stay of its corresponding relay?? I hope you can answer me. Thanks in advance.

#17 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

I think you better make a wiring diagram for us to look at. I suggest you use Google Drawings to make the diagram:

http://support.googl.......4&ctx=topic

... then change the access to "Anyone with the link" and post the link here.

#18 chus

chus
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Yes, the connections were fine, it was my problem. Now one question, I can use the CMX100D10 relay to switch a AC load, or only DC .... Thanks in advance.

#19 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

You would have to ask Crydom for the definitive answer to that. My opinion is that since it is rated for 0-100V, you could pass an AC signal where the minimum is not less than 0 and the maximum is not greater than 100. Realize that common 120VAC in the USA has a minimum of about -170V and a maximum of about +170V.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users