As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

UE9 for variable power output

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CryoEngineer

CryoEngineer
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

I would like to use a UE9 to generate and vary the power for a heater. The maximum power required is 3W and I would need a 10 bit resolution. Is there another way of doing this than using PWM? I'm worried about the noise PWM may introduce.

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

AC or DC? What voltage? As for your concern with PWM noise, what are you concerned about the noise getting into or bothering? With a heater you can do PWM slow or fast, so perhaps can choose a frequency that does not bother your other equipment.

#3 CryoEngineer

CryoEngineer
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

There is some flexibility with regards to the voltage but it needs to be DC and no higher than 50V. There will be some very noise-sensitive cryogenic equipment installed in the vicinity of the heater: SQUID electronics and resistance thermometry operating in the pico-Amp range. Perhaps my noise concerns are exaggerated but I would still like investigate what my options are.

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I just notice now that you say generate and control. The UE9 can't provide 3W, so you need to provide a power supply. You provide some sort of power supply (e.g. linear 24V supply) and the UE9 controls that supply somehow.

To control the supply, you could just use an op-amp. Wire the op-amp in the non-inverting configuration, power it with the linear 24V supply, and provide the input signal with DAC0 on the UE9. You need an op-amp rated for the current, but there are plenty such as the OPA548:

http://www.digikey.c...089-5-ND/266166

Nice that it has a shutdown so you can totally turn off the heater.

This is a totally linear solution so should be quietest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users