As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Reset CNT, and counting impulses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rakete

Rakete
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hello, Iīm new to Labjack and want to count impulses on the CNT input. I connected a switch and a pulldown resistor. Now i want to reset the counter, but it happens nothing, it stay allways on 29819054. I tried to reset it with LJCounter V1.07, and with Labview, and with Profilab Expert 3.0, and nothing works! And when i toggle the switch, the counter dosenīt increase its value. I run the LJTest and everything seems fine. Driver Version is V1.210, and the Labjack is 1.100. What else could i try? Is the CNT input broken? Maybe, but why canīt I reset it? I never connected overvoltage to it... Please help me! Thanks! Rakete

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Strange. The U12 seems to be operating fine, except that the counter is stuck on a big number. Power-cycle the U12, and make sure only one software application is running at a time. If you continue to see the same problem I suggest you contact [email protected] so we can take further action.

#3 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Also, the digital I/O is normally low on the U12, so you would use a jumper from +5V to create test counts.

#4 Rakete

Rakete
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hello Support, thank you for your answers! Yes, its very strange! Everything else works fine, except the CNT. Ok, I will try to restart my computer, then the Labjack is resetted, too, and I will start only one software to try it again. Next step will be to try that on an other computer... What do you mean with "the digital I/O is normally low on the U12, so you would use a jumper from +5V to create test counts"? I measured the +5V and the Ground on the input CNT with an oscilloscope to be shure that the Signal is fine. The Ground is really zero, the +5V is 5,12V, and there is no distortion on the signal like chattering. What I else noticed is that when I switch on the STB on the LJCount, then the value of the counter is decreasing one number to 29819053. 32 bit resolution means that the counter can count from 0 to 4294967296. The displayed 29819054 is then not something 2^x. The Labjack is resetted by diconnect the USB and reconnected? There is no switch inside? For a real hardware-reset? And the U12 firmware canīt be updated? What else can I try? Send it back to the store I bought it? But I donīt have warranty any more... Thank you for your support! Maik

#5 Rakete

Rakete
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

Maybe itīs because Iīm using an laptop? An quite old one? But there is no difference on USB compared to the RS232 with lower voltage on the port? Then I wouldnīt measure more then +5V on the screw terminal? :unsure:

#6 Rakete

Rakete
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

Ok, I checked it with an other PC. No change... What I recognized is a difference between the examples LJlogger and LJcounter: These show different values, 29819340 in LJlogger, and in LJcounter 29819054. And in both I cant reset...

#7 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

What do you mean with "the digital I/O is normally low on the U12, so you would use a jumper from +5V to create test counts"?

On our newer devices (U3/U6/UE9/T7), the digital inputs are pulled high (3.3V) internally. So to create counts you would tap a wire connected to GND. But on the U12, the digital inputs are pulled low internally, so to create counts you would tap a wire connected to +5V.

What else can I try? Send it back to the store I bought it? But I donīt have warranty any more...

If you want to send it back to us directly, we can take a look at it. Contact [email protected] to follow-up on that.

#8 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

The counter problem here was that the watchdog was stuck on.  See the new item #6 on the U12 Hardware Troubleshooting page:

http://labjack.com/s...troubleshooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users