As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Strain gauge wheatstone bridge excitation recommendation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trjohnston

trjohnston
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I am new to the world of mechatronics so I will apologize in advance for the noob question. I am considering purchasing the U6-pro with an immediate need to measure the output of a torque transducer. The particular torque transducer I am considering is the Futek Model TFF600 (data sheet is here: Futek TFF600) .

I noticed in some of the forum posts, e.g.,

that the recommendation for providing an excitation voltage to the wheatstone bridge is via the Vref on the LJTIA. However, the U6pro now has a built-in In-Amp.

Also, this post:
advises using a DAC output as the bridge excitation source.

So my question is, given the current state of hardware/firmware for the U6-pro, what is the “cleanest” (least noisy) way to provide a bridge excitation voltage = 10V?

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Here is another classic forum post to refer to:

https://forums.labja...?showtopic=4376

The DAC outputs are usually the best source on the U6. We usually recommend setting them to the highest value that is safely below the power rail, so 4.5 volts is common.

Whatever you use for the excitation source, it is best practice to use another analog input to measure the actual value of the excitation in real-time.

#3 trjohnston

trjohnston
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I am not really sure how the link you reference addresses my hardware question, but for those who stumble on the thread, you might also find this post modestly helpful:

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

That was a copy/paste mistake. I fixed it to link to topic #4376.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users