As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

LabJack U3 Driver Installation For Each USB Port

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeff M

Jeff M
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Is there a way to stop the LabJack drivers from prompting to install, but still load properly each time a U3 is connected to a different USB port in a computer?

Right now, when I bring a new computer online, I have to plug the U3 into every USB port on the computer with admin rights on WinXP. This is to avoid operators with lesser computer privileges from running into issues where they are prompted to install drivers and cannot for the USB cable being plugged into a different USB port. I have used other USB devices without this problem, where the drivers are installed automatically when the device is connected.

I'm using LabJack U3 driver v3.25, and for other applications U12's that are using driver v1.21. This issue is just very time consuming for about 70 to 100 LabJacks over 45 computers, and the computers get replaced about every 4 years.

My question is similar to, but not really answered by:
https://forums.labja...?showtopic=5340

Thanks,
Jeff

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Is there a way to stop the LabJack drivers from prompting to install, but still load properly each time a U3 is connected to a different USB port in a computer?

Right now, when I bring a new computer online, I have to plug the U3 into every USB port on the computer with admin rights on WinXP. This is to avoid operators with lesser computer privileges from running into issues where they are prompted to install drivers and cannot for the USB cable being plugged into a different USB port. I have used other USB devices without this problem, where the drivers are installed automatically when the device is connected.

I'm using LabJack U3 driver v3.25, and for other applications U12's that are using driver v1.21. This issue is just very time consuming for about 70 to 100 LabJacks over 45 computers, and the computers get replaced about every 4 years.

My question is similar to, but not really answered by:
https://forums.labja...?showtopic=5340

Thanks,
Jeff

Unfortunately this is just a quirk of how Windows associates USB devices like ours. For all of our LabJacks, each of them enumerates on the system like any other of the same device. Windows likes to associate a driver with a particular device. Without a way to differentiate between them, it does this by associating the device to the port it is connected to. Thus, when you connect it to a new port it goes through the process again.

The good news is, that we are changing the way we sign our driver package due to new restrictions with Windows 8. Having a signed driver package should make the install process for a new port much smoother. i.e. just connecting it should install with no interaction from the user necessary (though it might take an extra few seconds the first time). We are working on that right now and (hopefully) will have an installer up sometime next week (the Holidays might delay it a week).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users