As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

LJStreamUD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 matt.bondy

matt.bondy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have a signal from a piece of electronics about which I know very little. I tried using LJStreamUD to acquire data and to look at this signal and I was observing fairly consistent voltage changes of 5V. Is it likely I am seeing a digital signal? I ran into the issue of sampling rate while trying to acquire analog data. If I acquire digital data is there a sampling rate? What would be the easiest way to acquire digital data? I have no experience with Labview but I have downloaded a student copy. I have opened the U3 eDI example but I would prefer something that can save data to a text file. Thanks in advance.

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I have a signal from a piece of electronics about which I know very little. I tried using LJStreamUD to acquire data and to look at this signal and I was observing fairly consistent voltage changes of 5V. Is it likely I am seeing a digital signal?

Not much to go on. Can you send any detail about the device? Can you post a short data file from LJStreamUD?

I ran into the issue of sampling rate while trying to acquire analog data. If I acquire digital data is there a sampling rate? What would be the easiest way to acquire digital data?

See Section 3 about data rates:

http://labjack.com/s...3/users-guide/3

As for digital data, it depends on what type of signal it is and how you wind up acquiring it. If you just sample it, then stream mode is the fastest way. If it is some sort of serial data, then there might be a different way.

I have no experience with Labview but I have downloaded a student copy. I have opened the U3 eDI example but I would prefer something that can save data to a text file.

LabVIEW is a full-blown programming language. If you don't know LabVIEW, you will have to learn quite a bit, and the tutorials from NI are a good place to start. If you know another programming language such as C or VB, it is easier to learn LabVIEW.

#3 matt.bondy

matt.bondy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

I have an old IBM terminal. I am trying to acquire the signal between the terminal and the keyboard and to emulate the keyboard with the Labjack. After some experimentation this seems like it might not be possible. The sampling rate of the Labjack might not be sufficient. Additionally, it seems there is some back and forth communication between the terminal and the keyboard. I am having a lot of problems with LJStreamUD. It crashes constantly. Running it as an administrator with full permissions for the containing folder has helped but it still crashes essentially every time I try to use it. I have also tried opening the VI in Labview. This does not crash in the same way but instead buffer over-runs occur and the running of the VI terminates. Are there any older versions of LJStreamUD on your website?

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

On which O/S are you having crashing problems with LJStreamUD? For buffer overrun, do you see the "UD Backlog [%]" growing while you stream? Perhaps send us a screenshot of LJStreamUD so we can see the backlog and all your settings.

#5 matt.bondy

matt.bondy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit. The first screenshot (offset error) shows that I can not specify an offset for the output. Should I be able to? In my last many attempts to use LJStream it just does not work at all once I try to 'Start Stream' (LJStreamError.jpg). Shortly before the attempt at which time I created this screenshot I deleted the configuration file in Program Files (x86)\Labjack\Applications. I previously had some success after deleting this file.

Attached Thumbnails

• LJStream_OffsetError.jpg
  • LJStreamError.jpg

#6 matt.bondy

matt.bondy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Opening and running the LJStream VI in Labview still works. Buffer over-runs are definitely more of a problem with this method although at the moment the executable is not working at all (it crashes if I try to 'Start Stream').

#7 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

The scaling equation is not working because "Disable Scaling" is selected towards the bottom.

For buffer overruns, does it happen right away or does the program do multiple iterations successfully and return data for some time? Do you see the "UD Backlog [%]" growing while you stream? Can you send a related screenshot so we can see the backlog and all your settings?

I have tagged someone else on the crashing issue, but try UD V3.30 and another thing to try is different USB hubs:

http://labjack.com/s...dows-ud/beta-ud

#8 matt.bondy

matt.bondy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

With the VI as I progressively increase the scan rate I eventually see buffer over-runs as expected. There is likely not much to be done there except try the suggestions on your webpage on sampling/scan rate. It does seem to me that having Labview run the VI is going to take CPU effort and will make it more difficult to sample at a higher rate. This is where it would be nice to have the executable working, I assume this might alleviate the buffer over-run issue to some degree. Sometimes it works but this is rare and I have seen no trend indicating what causes the problem. It just worked a moment ago with the default settings but when I tried to close it it crashed again. Usually if it crashes (other than when I close the program, it seems to crash pretty well every time I close it) it crashes immediately upon starting to stream with error 1001. I will try the driver you linked to.

#9 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

With the VI as I progressively increase the scan rate I eventually see buffer over-runs as expected. There is likely not much to be done there except try the suggestions on your webpage on sampling/scan rate. It does seem to me that having Labview run the VI is going to take CPU effort and will make it more difficult to sample at a higher rate.

This is where it would be nice to have the executable working, I assume this might alleviate the buffer over-run issue to some degree. Sometimes it works but this is rare and I have seen no trend indicating what causes the problem. It just worked a moment ago with the default settings but when I tried to close it it crashed again.

Usually if it crashes (other than when I close the program, it seems to crash pretty well every time I close it) it crashes immediately upon starting to stream with error 1001.

I will try the driver you linked to.

A 1001 error is typically caused by some sort of memory access violation that the driver detects. Normally this is caused by code someone makes where they don't make an array large enough, pass it properly, etc. However, LJStreamUD should be doing everything properly there, thus the error is a little strange. Can you give us as specific as possible information about when it occurs? i.e. does it occur right when you start up, immediately when you start the stream, after a second of streaming, is it dependent on how fast you stream, etC? Also, is your LabView version 32-bit or 64-bit when you run the .vi directly? Do you have more than 4 gb of ram?

#10 matt.bondy

matt.bondy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

I got completely fed up with my Labjack and put it aside for a few months. I am now messing around with my Labjack again since it can handle higher voltages. What I am looking at is trying to determine the rpm of a motor from some sort of voltage measurement. I figure the interaction between the brushes and commutator should result in some observable effect. In this case I figure I can probably get away with using LJStreamUD. I was hoping that in the past few months there would be some changes that would result in better functionality. I have not observed this. I still observe error 1001 although I may be seeing a new accompanying error message (see screenshot). I no longer have my student version of Labview so this is just the executable you make available. I have 8 GB of RAM and I am running 64 bit MS Windows Vista Home Premium. I probably tried to run LJStreamUD ten times and it seems to generally start up and show that the Labjack is acquiring data. Oddly enough this seem to be a bad sign. When I hit 'Start Stream' it will often (nearly always) crash. If I start LJStreamUD and 'Error #25' appears in the 'Last Stream Error Message' box I seem to be able to often 'Start Stream' without any problems. However, I just tried it again and this is not always true... Please help me not regret going with something else.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stop_stream_April2013.jpg

#11 matt.bondy

matt.bondy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

I just re-read the last comment. More information: I could start streaming at 500 Hz. When I stopped and restarted at 5000 Hz (1 channel) LJStream UD crashed indicating error 1001. I closed the program (no other option), restarted it, and changed the scan rate to 5000 Hz before starting the stream. I was able to start and stop the stream. Suddenly LJStream worked fairly well. I went up to 40 000 Hz (without restarting the program) at which point I observed small backlogs (at the other scan rates I tried: 500, 5000, 10 000, and 20 000) I had no backlog. I had previously tried changing the scan rate to 5000 Hz immediately and observed the program crash. I just opened the program and the scan rate was already set to 10 000 Hz and it crashed immediately upon trying to start the stream (it has always been an immediate crash) but no no numerical error code was indicated (see screen shot).

Attached Thumbnails

• Stream_crash_5000Hz.jpg
  • Stream_crash_10000Hz.jpg

#12 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

I just re-read the last comment.

More information:
I could start streaming at 500 Hz. When I stopped and restarted at 5000 Hz (1 channel) LJStream UD crashed indicating error 1001.

I closed the program (no other option), restarted it, and changed the scan rate to 5000 Hz before starting the stream. I was able to start and stop the stream. Suddenly LJStream worked fairly well. I went up to 40 000 Hz (without restarting the program) at which point I observed small backlogs (at the other scan rates I tried: 500, 5000, 10 000, and 20 000) I had no backlog.

I had previously tried changing the scan rate to 5000 Hz immediately and observed the program crash.

I just opened the program and the scan rate was already set to 10 000 Hz and it crashed immediately upon trying to start the stream (it has always been an immediate crash) but no no numerical error code was indicated (see screen shot).

We found 1 and only 1 PC in the office that we think has this same issue. The good news is we found a version of the .dll that seemed to work without the error (or perhaps moves the error to the close of the program), the bad news is it was a debug build of the .dll. It is linked in this post: https://forums.labja...o...ost&p=20498

That should work for you (hopefully). We will work on tracking down the root cause of it, but it could take a few days since it doesn't seem to occur with the debug build, and thus we won't have access to all the convenient debugging tools. As long as we can reproduce it though we should be able to fix it.

#13 ConditionMonitorng

ConditionMonitorng
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

I want to use the U3 HV in Labview 2010 to acquire an piezoelectric accelerometer. In this moment we are now using the LJstreamUD, I have some questions; after 3 days of consulting of user guide in the section 2,3 etc... whit my team, we did not understand:

• what is the function of SCAN RATE(Hz)? In the manual the description it's so scanty.
  • what is the function  of RESOLUTION? It isn't like manual description in the table 3.2-1, shifting the parameter from 0 (default) to 1, or 2 or 3, we haven't  observe mutations, and we would shift from 2500 sample/s to 50000 samples/s.
  • How do I match acquired value to timestamp?

n.b.: We have already read the user guide 6 time.

#14 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

1.  ScanRate is how many scans you are going to acquire per second.  For example, if NumChannels=4 and ScanRate=1000, that means that every 1 ms the U3 will acquire a scan from all 4 channels, and thus the sample rate is 4000 samples/second.

http://labjack.com/s...users-guide/3.2

2.  I suggest you just use Resolution=0, which means the U3 will automatically adjust resolution as needed.  The resolution parameter is seldom used in stream mode with the U3.

3.  You know the elapsed time based on 1/ScanRate * ScanNumber.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users