As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Is there a way to turn a labjack off.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hybrid Engineer

Hybrid Engineer
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

Hi As I run labjacks for long periods of time without being checked I would like to be able to turn them off automatically in the even of an error. Is there a command that would turn the labjack itself off or disable the 5v output? This would then have to wait for a power-cycle of the labjack to turn on again. Thanks

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

I am not quite sure what exactly you are asking. If you have communication with the U6 you can send a reset command. If you are worried about losing USB communication for some reason, consider enabling the watchdog to reset the device after some communication timeout, and then leave some software running that talks to the device all the time.

#3 Hybrid Engineer

Hybrid Engineer
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Sorry, I wanted to know if there is a way to turn off the device. More specifically cut of the 5v supply. for example say a device/component was running off of the labjack 5v supply and it failed is there a command to turn of the 5v supply to prevent damage to the component?

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Sounds like you might mean a couple things:

1. Turn off VS terminals so they are not outputting 5 volts: That is not possible. Perhaps you can use the DAC outputs instead, as those you could set to 0 volts. Or you could use digital outputs to provide 3.3 volts.

http://labjack.com/s...users-guide/2.4

http://labjack.com/s...users-guide/2.7

http://labjack.com/s...users-guide/2.8

2. Using some sort of O/S command in software, turn off the 5 volt supply (from USB) to the U6, thus powering down the entire U6. I don't know of a way to do this, but a quick google search makes it look like it might be possible.

#5 GeorgSoerensen

GeorgSoerensen
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

You could also use one of the I/O channels to power a relay. Connect your module PS+ to the relay NO (normally open) and the LabJack VS+ to the COM (common terminal). Use High output to the I/O channel to close the relay and power your device. Set Low Output to the I/O channel to open relay and shut off your device. I use 4 of the DIO lines to do this with my equipment. I have the LabJack Power up equipment  in a specific order. You can even feedback the NO terminal to another DIO (In) and confirm that power is going to your component (and that your relay contacts are OK - don't use SSR if you need the full +5V)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users