As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Python Firmware Updater Failed -- am I bricked?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Panzarella

Tom Panzarella
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

I tried contacting LJ support earlier today, but heard nothing back. The text of my email explains my situation (see below). Do I have a chance to fix my U6, is there a "reset to factory default trick," or what can I try? I tried to update my U6 with the python firmware update tool. I'm on Ubuntu Linux. Here are some details of my system: [email protected]: $ uname -a Linux jelly 3.2.0-32-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 26 21:33:09 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux [email protected]: $ cat /etc/issue Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS \n \l My first attempt using the python firmware updater failed, so, per the readme, I issued the following: [email protected]: $ python ./selfUpgrader.py -r 6 Downloading firmware version 1.35 into a file called U6firmware_135_11302011.hex Downloading firmware from website... Done. Reading firmware file... Done. Firmware file provides firmware version 1.35. Writing firmware in recovery mode. handle: None Traceback (most recent call last): File "./selfUpgrader.py", line 145, in <module> upgradeU6Firmware(filename, recovery, forceYes) File "/home/david/Development/git/firmware-upgrader/u36Upgrade.py", line 466, in upgradeU6Firmware File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/u6.py", line 213, in open Device.open(self, 6, firstFound = firstFound, serial = serial, localId = localId, devNumber = devNumber, handleOnly = handleOnly, LJSocket = LJSocket ) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/LabJackPython.py", line 603, in open d = openLabJack(devType, ct, firstFound = True, handleOnly = handleOnly, LJSocket = LJSocket) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/LabJackPython.py", line 1443, in openLabJack handle = _openLabJackUsingExodriver(deviceType, firstFound, pAddress, devNumber) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/LabJackPython.py", line 1297, in _openLabJackUsingExodriver raise NullHandleException() LabJackPython.NullHandleException: Couldn't open device. Please check that the device you are trying to open is connected. The unit is currently in the state where the power LED is illuminated solid and the status LED blinks rapidly. If I pull out the power then replug it in, the unit remains in this state. I tried updating my exodriver and LabJack python module to the latest version from github (install went fine). When rerunning the python firmware update tool, I get the same issue.

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

I replied back to your email on the issue. There is a problem with upgrading U6 firmware on Linux, or perhaps only certain versions of Linux. Linux has problems enumerating the U6 after it is switched to intermediate mode (the mode to write firmware). You can switch it back to normal mode by jumpering a wire between FIO0 and SPC, power cycle your U6 and disconnecting the wire. The Status LED should stay on when it is successfully back into normal mode. At this time, if you want to upgrade your firmware use Windows or Mac OS X as they do not have this problem.

#3 Tom Panzarella

Tom Panzarella
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

I replied back to your email on the issue. There is a problem with upgrading U6 firmware on Linux, or perhaps only certain versions of Linux. Linux has problems enumerating the U6 after it is switched to intermediate mode (the mode to write firmware). You can switch it back to normal mode by jumpering a wire between FIO0 and SPC, power cycle your U6 and disconnecting the wire. The Status LED should stay on when it is successfully back into normal mode.

At this time, if you want to upgrade your firmware use Windows or Mac OS X as they do not have this problem.

Thanks for the feedback. I did the jumper procedure and the LED stayed constant. The device appeared to be restored. I think tried programming the new firmware using LJSelfUpgrade on Windows. The programming failed. I went to http://labjack.com/s...users-guide/1.2 (as per instructions). Based on my LED activity, it appears as though the unit has detected internal memory corruption. At this point, the instructions suggest contacting LJ support. Where can I go from here?

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

Very unusual, but perhaps some sort of interaction between the Python upgrader and LJSU has caused a problem. I suggest you contact [email protected] as we might have to get an RMA going.

#5 Tom Panzarella

Tom Panzarella
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Very unusual, but perhaps some sort of interaction between the Python upgrader and LJSU has caused a problem. I suggest you contact [email protected] as we might have to get an RMA going.

OK. I've sent email to LJ support and am waiting to hear back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users