As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Bad analog input using laptop, but normal on desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brian6091

brian6091
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

I'm using a U6 to record analog input from an battery-powered differential amp (http://www.wpiinc.co.../SYS-DAM80.html). The signal is about 1 V peak-to-peak, and I'm recording on single-ended with one lead connected to AN0 and the other to SGND. When I have the labjack plugged into a desktop computer I see what I expect, but when I plug the labjack into a laptop, I don't see the signal I expect, and I see additional line noise and many harmonics of that (50Hz in my case). This doesn't improve when I plug the power charger for the laptop in. I assume this is a ground issue, but I don't know how to resolve it, and I would like to use the laptop since it is mobile. Any ideas?

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Sounds strange. I assume you mean that you have the output of the amp connected to an input on the U6? What if you use GND rather than SGND?

#3 brian6091

brian6091
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Sounds strange. I assume you mean that you have the output of the amp connected to an input on the U6? What if you use GND rather than SGND?

Yes, that's how I connected it. Connecting to GND rather than SGND didn't seem to change anything.

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

What are you using for software? Make sure all applicable settings are the same. Do a basic test with the channel just jumpered to GND to confirm that the U6 input is working up to spec. If you look at the signal voltage with a DMM and Scope, does it look different in the 2 cases?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users