As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

UE9 TCP vs UDP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Oberlin

Paul Oberlin
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

So, typically the labjacks I've encountered seem to be configured for TCP communication, but I've got one that seems to be in UDP mode. I'm not sure how to get it out of this mode, and can't find anything in the documentation that covers this. I can connect to this labjack over USB and view it in the control panel just fine, but when I try to connect over ethernet to it, I see some unexpected things in the control panel. For example, the Control and Bootloader firmware show up as version 0, and I can't enter any test values. When I connect to this labjack over USB, it looks normal. Can someone explain to me what is going on here? How can I chance this labjack to use TCP instead of UDP, like the other labjacks on the network?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png
  • labjack_usb.PNG

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

LJCP uses UDP to search for devices, and then whatever it finds it tries to connect and talk to over TCP. When it says UDP, that means it was not able to connect over TCP, and that generally means some sort of network settings problem. How about looking at one of the units that is working, and note all the settings you see in LJCP (Comm settings and Firmware Versions). Then disconnect it, use USB to set up the problem UE9 with those exact settings, and then connect the problem UE9 at that spot and see if it works.

#3 Paul Oberlin

Paul Oberlin
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

LJCP uses UDP to search for devices, and then whatever it finds it tries to connect and talk to over TCP. When it says UDP, that means it was not able to connect over TCP, and that generally means some sort of network settings problem.

How about looking at one of the units that is working, and note all the settings you see in LJCP (Comm settings and Firmware Versions). Then disconnect it, use USB to set up the problem UE9 with those exact settings, and then connect the problem UE9 at that spot and see if it works.

My 2nd screen capture above is the exact same labjack that says "UDP" in the 1st screen capture, only connected via USB instead of ethernet. So you can see all the firmware versions and everything there. I'm not sure what additional settings I could change besides whats on this page. Are there more settings for network settings other than this??

Note, these are the latest Firmware I think, and I have other labjacks using latest firmware that work correctly. Not sure what's different about this one, or where to look to see more potential differences, other than this page that I've screen captured.

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Those are exactly the settings I am talking about, but but screenshots are from the same UE9 that is giving problems, correct? My suggestion is to look at all the settings/versions on one of the working devices, configure the problem device identically, and then connect the problem device to the cable that was connected to the working device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users