As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Periodic voltage drops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 helmik

helmik
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

I am Using Labjack U3 LV. I want to measure drop of voltage on one resistor. Because the voltage was too big (around 10V) i parelly added two big resistors and i measured the voltage on resistor R3. The values of resistance and circuit is shown in the attached picture. Now for maximum voltage V_s=12V i should have drop of voltage on R3 around 2,4V (max). I measured it on labjack in a way shown in the picture (connected to FIO2 and FIO3), in fact i could see the value of around 2,4V, however it was periodically dropping to 0V. Period is around 10s and time when labjack shows U=0V is around 2-3s. I measured the voltage also with multimeter and there were no drops of voltage. What can be wrong? Can you help me solve this problem?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

See Section 2.6.3.6 of the U3 User's Guide for information about voltage dividers:

http://labjack.com/s...s-guide/2.6.3.6

You want the biggest resistors you can use, so set your R2 to 10k. Then choose R3 so that at your max voltage the divided voltage is <2.44 volts. For example, if you set your R3 to 1.8k, then 16V in will result in about 2.44 volts out.

Also, in your drawing you don't show a ground connection. FIO2 is fine, but the other side should be connected to ground:

http://labjack.com/s...l-analog-inputs

#3 helmik

helmik
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

Ok thank You for help. I am sorry for probably another stupid question, but my experience in the field is extremely small ;-) So: my source is a box that is constant current source. To get correct ground connection i should connect GND from labjack to source box or just connect second lead (from picture) to GND instead of FIO3?

#4 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Everything at the bottom of your drawing is the same thing, so you can connect anywhere there, but simply moving the FIO3 connection over to GND sounds the easiest.

#5 helmik

helmik
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I will try it tomorrow and hope it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users