As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

7-segment LED display component

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 e-choi

e-choi
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

what are some means to output from labjack to 7-segment LED display?

Is there some direct means to display (one digit) numbers from DAQFactory to physical LED display?
I read this wiki article: http://en.wikipedia....segment_display requiring 7 FIOs
I need to display on 0~6, I like to minimize use of FIOs. I have U6-Pro w/ CB37. Any guidance/ ideas are appreciated.

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

This should be possible, depending on how many of your U6's digital lines are already in use. The easiest way to do this is with a serial module. The module will handle all the LED driving and decoding so all you need to do is send a number to it. Here are a few examples: http://www.rentron.com/SLED-C4.htm

Those modules are UART based, so all you would need to do is connect one DIO line and power/GND then send commands using the U12's ASYNC function.

If you want to make your own display you'll need 7 DIO lines per display. There are things you can do to reduce the number of IO you need like a BCD Decoder Driver (binary coded decimal). That driver is an IC that takes 4 DIO and will drive the display according the number on the nibble (4-bit number, 0-F). This saves you 3 IO lines, figures out which LEDs to turn on and will solve most drive strength issues.

#3 Merry Browen

Merry Browen
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

Those modules are UART based, so all you would need to do is connect one DIO line and power/GND then send commands using the U12's ASYNC function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users