As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

Wireless USB

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

This topic is about wireless connectivity with a USB device such as the U12, U3, or UE9.

Note that the Ethernet interface on the UE9 makes it an excellent choice for wireless data acquisition using standard WiFi 802.11 equipment. See the following topic for more information:

https://forums.labja...?showtopic=1275

First, a common misunderstanding. Many people see the common little dongles that convert USB to Ethernet, WiFi, or Bluetooth, and think that might be a solution. In USB there are hosts and devices. Hosts and devices must connect to each other (or to a hub). Hosts can't connect to hosts, and devices can't connect to devices. Those common dongles convert from a USB host to those other protocols. The LabJack is a USB device, and those dongles cannot connect to a USB device.

Now for actual solutions. There are two basic solutions right now:

1) Connect the LabJack to a "USB server" which provides a USB hub over an Ethernet link. WiFi can then be used somewhere in the Ethernet link to provide wireless communication. Here are some USB servers:

http://www.bb-elec.c...U=ANYWHEREUSB/5

http://www.keyspan.c...a/homepage.spml

http://www.keyspan.c...a/homepage.spml

http://www.silexamer...-servers-2.html

http://www.lantronix...x.html#features

We did basic testing with the AnywhereUSB product and found that it worked fine. A customer reported success with the Silex product and the U12 in topic #2604 on this forum.

2) The first "Certified Wireless USB" hubs are now available, and many more will likely be out soon:

D-Link DUB-1210 with DUB-2240
http://www.dlink.com...?model=DUB-2240

Belkin F5U302 and F5U303
http://catalog.belki...oduct_Id=377793

IOGear GUWH104KIT
http://www.iogear.co...Item=GUWH104KIT

#2 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

We have done some initial testing with the Belkin F5U302 wireless USB hub. We had no problems initially with the U12, U3, or UE9, and basic operation seems good so far, but we did find a specific way to cause a problem. By running LJstreamUD on a U3 or UE9, and starting/stopping the stream (8 channels at 8 kscans/s) as fast as possible, we can quickly cause a LabJack not found error. At this point no further communication with the LabJack is possible until it is removed and reconnected. While in this bad state, we found communication is fine going to the LabJack, and the LabJack seems to send the proper response, but the response seems to disappear in the F5U302 hub and only a zero length packet gets back to the host. We will notify Belkin of this issue.

#3 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

Tested the IOGear GUWH104KIT. Found that when connecting the dongle to a particular USB hub, it would not install. On plugging the dongle into the hub, a balloon pups up from the Windows taskbar saying "Found New Hardware - IOGEAR WUSB Host USB Adapter". Then the Windows Add New Hardware Wizard appears and simply has the following failure message: Cannot Start this Hardware There was a problem installing this hardware: IOGEAR WUSB Host USB Adapter This device cannot start. (Code 10) Plugging the dongle into a USB port right on the same PC (not on the hub), it then installed OK. Noticed no problems in testing with the U3 and UE9. Doing the LJstreamUD test that caused problems with the Belkin, did not cause any problems with this IOGear hub. The U12 does not work. It almost enumerates correctly, but the U12 driver cannot write or read data to the device.

#4 Salefix

Salefix
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

Tested the IOGear GUWH104KIT. Found that when connecting the dongle to a particular USB hub, it would not install.

On plugging the dongle into the hub, a balloon pups up from the Windows taskbar saying "Found New Hardware - IOGEAR WUSB Host USB Adapter". Then the Windows Add New Hardware Wizard appears and simply has the following failure message:

Cannot Start this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware:
IOGEAR WUSB Host USB Adapter

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Plugging the dongle into a USB port right on the same PC (not on the hub), it then installed OK.

Noticed no problems in testing with the U3 and UE9. Doing the LJstreamUD test that caused problems with the Belkin, did not cause any problems with this IOGear hub.

The U12 does not work. It almost enumerates correctly, but the U12 driver cannot write or read data to the device.

We have tested both w-usb hubs . Both (BELKIN as well as the IOGear) showing the same problems.
After streaming (Stream Stop) was no longer communication with the U3 possible.
The statement 'did not cause any problems with this IOGear hub' we can not confirm.
Is there a problem with the U3 USB communication itself ?

#5 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:16 AM

Tested the IOGear GUWH104KIT. Found that when connecting the dongle to a particular USB hub, it would not install.

On plugging the dongle into the hub, a balloon pups up from the Windows taskbar saying "Found New Hardware - IOGEAR WUSB Host USB Adapter". Then the Windows Add New Hardware Wizard appears and simply has the following failure message:

Cannot Start this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware:
IOGEAR WUSB Host USB Adapter

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Plugging the dongle into a USB port right on the same PC (not on the hub), it then installed OK.

Noticed no problems in testing with the U3 and UE9. Doing the LJstreamUD test that caused problems with the Belkin, did not cause any problems with this IOGear hub.

The U12 does not work. It almost enumerates correctly, but the U12 driver cannot write or read data to the device.

We have tested both w-usb hubs . Both (BELKIN as well as the IOGear) showing the same problems.
After streaming (Stream Stop) was no longer communication with the U3 possible.
The statement 'did not cause any problems with this IOGear hub' we can not confirm.
Is there a problem with the U3 USB communication itself ?

What program are you using to run the stream? When not streaming, does everything else work properly?

#6 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:55 AM

We have also tested the Silex SX-2000WG and found it worked with our products. This was an easy to set up product that works great for wireless connectivity of our USB products.

#7 Robbiex

Robbiex
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

We have also tested the Silex SX-2000WG and found it worked with our products. This was an easy to set up product that works great for wireless connectivity of our USB products.

Has anyone tried the Lantronix UBox 2100 USB-to-Ethernet server with the LabJack U3 ?

Thank you.

Robert Robinson

#8 RJE

RJE
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hello New Labjack user here and I am planning my switch over to Labjack U3 modules for data gathering in my home. I'm not a wireless fan and prefer good old fashion copper wire for communications. I have just started reading the manual for the AnywhereUSB/5 from B&B and it seems like the thing for many U3's on my home network thus getting around the USB length limitation. Have you any experience with this setup and using DAQFactory? Thanks Randy

#9 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

Sounds fine. They provide software such that the USB ports act like they are local to your computer. So our driver and DAQFactory just think it is a normal USB port.

#10 Robert

Robert
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

Its been a couple years since this thread was started. I purchased a U3 today and am looking to purchase a USB server for it now. Since there has been some time since this was first discussed I thought I would see what recommendations you had for one? Which one works best with the U3? Any idea on usable range?

#11 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

Some comments: "Certified Wireless USB" seems to be going nowhere. We use the SX-2000WG regularly. I can't say we have done a lot of long continuous type testing, but use it all the time for general intermittent tests. Only $120 at Amazon. I would describe it as "USB over IP", where the IP link happens to be WiFi in this case. The other thing we have used a lot is the Icron Ranger 2104. I have used one of these at my desk, and can't tell the difference between it an any normal USB hub. If anything it is better than a pure USB hub. Should point out that I would not call the Icron Ranger 2104 a "USB Server" as it is not really doing "USB over IP". Rather it has a dongle that plugs into your USB port, a hub at the other end, and just happens to use CAT5 cable between the 2. I would call it an active USB extender. A "USB over IP" device is nice in that there is no hardware at your computer besides your normal network connection. You do however have to run some sort of software (provided by the manufacturer of course) that maps the remote hub so your computer thinks it is local. An "Active USB Extension" is nice in that there is no extra driver or software. Your computer just thinks it is a normal USB hub.

#12 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

One other thing worth mentioning. If you do have a computer reasonably close to the U3, but your motive is that you want to do things by Internet rather than on a particular computer, then contact [email protected] about something new.

#13 Robert

Robert
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

One other thing worth mentioning. If you do have a computer reasonably close to the U3, but your motive is that you want to do things by Internet rather than on a particular computer, then contact [email protected] about something new.

Thanks for your info. I purchased a U3 yesterday and am interested in locating the U3 next to my equipment that the aquisition is being run on. That may be 10ft from the computer it may be 30ft. Being able to access it via the internet would be the best case scinereo. I know that the UE9 is ready for that out of the box, but the upstart on it throws it out of the budget. Hence the usb server option looked good. I am working on a modular approach to this setup, meaning that you can start with the U3 hardwired to a pc and as an option could go wireless to get the pc located away from the equipment. Any suggestions as to how I could get this done?

#14 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

USB over IP is good for getting a USB device on a network, but if you want to get on the Internet you want to contact [email protected] so we can discuss the new option.

#15 Robert

Robert
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

USB over IP is good for getting a USB device on a network, but if you want to get on the Internet you want to contact [email protected] so we can discuss the new option.

Thanks again for the info. I contacted support earlier

#16 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:19 PM

We updated and summarized this information into an App Note here:

http://labjack.com/s...s/usb-via-other

#17 Gusss

Gusss
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:08 AM

Hello is there a battery powered usb server that works well with the u3 lv ?

#18 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:20 AM

Are you looking for Ethernet or WiFi?

#19 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

See topic #7128: