As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

soil moisture sensor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cplee

cplee
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

Is there a low cost soil moisture sensor available that will work with the U3?

#2 Frosty

Frosty
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

Watermark Soil Moisture sensor is a resistive sensor, Hobby Boards (nice guy, great service) sells them for $32. Otherwise you can make your own sensor with gypsum, a google search should find some instructions. Be careful with gypsum, it's exothermic - gets very hot when setting, you don't want to have your hands in it.

#3 wave_man

wave_man
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:35 PM

I seem to remember a Forrest Mims circuit that did that, if you are into homebrew circuit hacking. I will try to track it down if you are still interested.

Let me know if you already got one.

wave_man

#4 wave_man

wave_man
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

http://blog.faludi.c...sensor-circuit/

This is actually a better circuit to work with than the original.

It has 0-5VDC output. Nice.

Enjoy your wet dirt!

wave_man

#5 Soil Moisture Guy

Soil Moisture Guy
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:08 PM

There is an extreemly low cost soil moisture sensor which is sold by Vegetronix - www.Vegetronix.com which gives a 0 to 3V output voltage proportional to water content. It is extreemly low power too - can be run with a coin battery. I believe that it costs under $30. In addition, TDR based so it doesn't corrode, and is insensitive to salinity.

The full link is:

http://www.vegetroni...ure-Probe.phtml

#6 nataniel

nataniel
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

Why don't you check for one here Microwave Moisture Sensor, do not be bewildered by its name - they produce a wide variety of moisture meters and sensors. The company has got a good reputation as the quality is high and the prices are reasonable. Check it out, I hope it will be useful.

#7 ZRandal

ZRandal
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Not sure if you are still looking... 8 years  is a long time... Anyways, I tried looking for the Vegetronix VG400, but I believe it is no longer available. There does appear to be another similar soil moisture sensor (I think it is probably a newer revised version) called the VH400. Anyways, although it doesn't cost under $30 it still is pretty cheap - around $37.

Anyways, despite this being a little late, hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users