As of July 17, 2015, the LabJack forums here at forums.labjack.com are shut down. New registrations, topics, and replies are disabled. All forums are in a read-only state for archive purposes.

Please visit our current forums at labjack.com/forums to view and make new posts. To post on the current forums, use your labjack.com login account. Your old LabJack forums login credentials have been retired. There are no longer separate logins for labjack.com and LabJack forums.

Photo

measuring efficiency of a solar thermal panel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Max

Max
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:49 AM

I want to measure the efficiency of asolar thermal panel, which means recording samplings from four probes (one sample per minute would be enough), with an accuracy of +/- 1C. The temperature range is 0C to 100C. I am a newby in the field, my question is : should I use thermistors or thermocouples, themperatures above 100C should not occur, but it would be nice if the sensor (termistor or thermocouple) could survive higher temperature... Thanks Max

#2 Max

Max
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:10 PM

is it possible to this thermistor for my application :

http://www.ussensor....DO-35_inter.htm

Max

#3 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:29 PM

The first thing you should do is search this forum on the term "temperature". You will find lots of topics, and the recommendation that for 0-100 degrees C you use a silicon type sensor such as the EI-1022, LM135, or LM34/LM35. Then you can do searches on "thermistor" and "thermocouple" to find more topics about those specific types. Start with that and see what comes up.

#4 Max

Max
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:40 PM

I decode your answer : do your homework and come back with
a more refined question ! B)

Ok, I've searched, and I think that I can rule out the thermocouple.

would this sensor do the thing :

http://www.omega.com...D590&Nav=temd10

Max

#5 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:43 PM

Yes, unless you have mechanical requirements that rule out a semiconductor type of package, I would not use a thermocouple or thermistor. Your range is perfect for a silicon temp sensor.

The part you pointed out could be made to work, but it is not particularly accurate and it has a current output that you would have to convert to voltage. A better choice is the LM34 from national.com. The LM34CAZ is very accurate and easy to use. National will send you a couple free samples from their web site. The LM34 is better than the LM35 because you get more volts/temp, and also because with a single +5 volt supply you get a range of +5 to +300 deg F (-15 to +149 deg C).

Another good option is the EI-1022 sold by us. It works from -40 to +100 degrees C, and comes as a handy probe assembly. The absolute accuracy is not as good, but it can be calibrated to provide good results.

http://www.labjack.com/products.html

#6 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:14 PM

Since the analog input bias currents on the U12 get negative with decreasing voltage, I did some testing with the LM34CAZ connected to the U12 at low temperatures. With nothing added, the LM34CAZ could not measure below 56 degrees F. With a 9k resistor from signal to ground (AI0 to GND), I could measure to 9 degrees F. With a 4.7k resistor I could get below the minimum rated temp of 5 degrees F. Did the same testing with a UE9, which has much lower analog input bias current, and the LM34CAZ did not need any load resistance to reach 5 degrees F.

#7 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Since the analog input bias currents on the U12 get negative with decreasing voltage, I did some testing with the LM34CAZ connected to the U12 at low temperatures. With nothing added, the LM34CAZ could not measure below 56 degrees F. With a 9k resistor from signal to ground (AI0 to GND), I could measure to 9 degrees F. With a 4.7k resistor I could get below the minimum rated temp of 5 degrees F.

Did the same testing with a UE9, which has much lower analog input bias current, and the LM34CAZ did not need any load resistance to reach 5 degrees F.

I ran a test with the U12 and a 10k resistor, it got down to 5deg F but it was reading 49 deg F at room temp!

Guys! is there any way to get the full range on the U12?

#8 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8677 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

I just did a test with a 10k resistor and did not see that it had any effect at higher temperatures. I connected the LM34 to AI0 and added a 10k resistor from AI0 to GND. I pulled on both connections to AI0 to make sure they were both in there securely. I was able to take the other end of the resistor in/out of GND and it made no difference with my 65 degree F readings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users