Publishing a project in VB.Net 2010 Express

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Port City U6

Port City U6
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

I have developed a project for a Labjack U6 using Visual Basic 2010 Express, and it runs fine on the development machine (running Windows XP with latest updates). The "Publish" process also appears to work OK from within VB, and I have the option set to include third party apps. This adds a file called LJUDDotNet.dll.deploy to the set of installation files. I've tried to install the application on another XP machine (also with latest updates, including .NET version 4 which VB 2010 requires), as well as a Windows Vista machine, and it fails the same way on both. No useful information from the error message (just a pop-up window saying the application failed with an inquiry as to whether to send an error report to Microsoft). The installation process does create a new program on the Start menu with the correct names, etc., but if I try to run this I get the same error (ie. fails before ever starting). Any ideas on how to make the VB 2010 "Publish" process work? I initially did not install the Labjack software on either machine (ie. LabJackUDSetupV3.25.exe), but since have done that and get the same results. The Labjack control panel app does run properly on both machines so the hardware is working, but I can't create a successful installation for any other machine.

#2 Port City U6

Port City U6
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

Just to clarify the original post, I can Publish and deploy on another machine a normal Windows application that has no Labjack device. So no problem with the overall publishing process (that uses Microsoft's "Clickonce"). The problem is when I try to publish/deploy an application developed in Visual Basic Express 2010 (VB.NET) that *does* have a Labjack U6 device. There the Publish process from within VB works to produce a folder with install files, but trying to deploy it on another machine that doesn't have VB fails completely. If anyone knows how to make this work please reply.

#3 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8401 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Just to clarify the original post, I can Publish and deploy on another machine a normal Windows application that has no Labjack device. So no problem with the overall publishing process (that uses Microsoft's "Clickonce"). The problem is when I try to publish/deploy an application developed in Visual Basic Express 2010 (VB.NET) that *does* have a Labjack U6 device. There the Publish process from within VB works to produce a folder with install files, but trying to deploy it on another machine that doesn't have VB fails completely. If anyone knows how to make this work please reply.

It sounds like it could be some limitation of the VB.NET publishing process. Would it be possible to send us that so we can try it? You could email it to support@labjack.com

#4 Port City U6

Port City U6
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

It sounds like it could be some limitation of the VB.NET publishing process. Would it be possible to send us that so we can try it? You could email it to support@labjack.com

Thanks for the reply. I started with one of your U6 example programs ("U6_Simple" under the VisualBasic_LJUD Application examples for U6) and added my GUI (several additional forms, a chart object, etc.) and lots of number crunching code. So if you can "publish" this particular example from Visual Basic Express 2010 and get that to work, I can probably follow the same steps with my program. I get no errors from the "publish" process itself, and it does add a file called LJUDDotNet.dll.deploy (40 KB) to the installation file list. But the entire installation folder is only 692 KB, and 419 KB of that is the setup.exe file (which crashes on execution).

#5 LabJack Support

LabJack Support
  • Admin
  • 8401 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I started with one of your U6 example programs ("U6_Simple" under the VisualBasic_LJUD Application examples for U6) and added my GUI (several additional forms, a chart object, etc.) and lots of number crunching code. So if you can "publish" this particular example from Visual Basic Express 2010 and get that to work, I can probably follow the same steps with my program. I get no errors from the "publish" process itself, and it does add a file called LJUDDotNet.dll.deploy (40 KB) to the installation file list. But the entire installation folder is only 692 KB, and 419 KB of that is the setup.exe file (which crashes on execution).

We were able to publish this example into a setup file that seems to work fine. We get no errors when running it. I've attached a .zip file here with it for you to try to see if it's maybe something specific to your machine.

Attached Files

#6 Pascal GANAYE

Pascal GANAYE
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

It looks like you're not shipping the LJUDDotNet.dll. I don't have the dll so I can't try much but here is what I would do: In the references tab of your project properties you should have the LJUDDotNet in the list. Select it and press F4. In the Properties panel try to change CopyLocal to True. This tells visual studio to copy the dll to your bin/debug folder and not expect the dll in the global assembly cache. Back in the publish page you can see if you click the [Application Files...] which dll is shipped. The LJUDDotNet.dll line should have Publish Status 'Include' and download group 'Required'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users